This guide works for following devices runing iOS 5.1.1.
- All generations of iPad
- iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS
- iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G
If you would like to jailbreak your device with this guide, make sure your device is in the list above and it has been updated to iOS 5.1.1. [Read: How to Check the iOS version of Your iDevice]
It does NOT support any other iOS version or iOS devices that are not listed above!!!
Notice: If you already made a backup for your device or don’t want to back up it, please skip the first 2 steps below and download jailbreaking tool directly. However, the backup is always suggested in case you lose important information during jailbreaking.
Step 1: Download latest iTunes HERE
You can skip this step if you already have iTunes installed.
Step 2: Back up your device:
- Plug into your device and launch iTunes
- Right click the device name in the sidebar list
- Select Back Up and wait for the sync to finish
Download jailbreaking tool:
Ready to Go!
- For Mac: Open absinthe-mac-2.0.4.dmg and run Absinthe
For Windows: Unzip the file absinthe-win-2.0.4.zip and run Absinthe
- Plug in your iDevice and Absinthe will connect it automatically
- Click Jailbreak to start. Please do NOT operate your device during the jailbreaking!
- Absinthe will try to send jailbreak data to your iDevice during the jailbreaking process
- After sending the final jailbreak data, your Device will reboot. Please do NOT unplug your device!
- Once you see the Done, enjoy! in Absinthe, the jailbreak is completed
After all of these done, you can see the Cydia icon showing up in the Home screen. Launch it to enjoy various applications and themes from now on!